The first mention of the Parish is in the Inquisition (a method in the 15th century of managing inheritance) which was held in the city of New Sarum on 26th July 1626. This dealt with the estate of Edmund Milles who farmed 130 acres in Heyden Weeke. In 1771 a list of residents (Rodborn Cheney) are eligible to serve on the Jury for the Michaelmas Sitting in Haidon and Morden. There were 33 eligible residents of which one was Richard Titcomb – a common family name locally even today.
In the 1851 census there is a detailed appraisal of those who lived in Haydon Wick. There were 288 residents and the jobs listed paint a fascinating picture. There are at least 12 farmers, a shoemaker, a blacksmith, a mason, a basket maker two or three dairy servants and domestic servants, and one or two pauper. But 50% or more residents were agricultural workers, and there was a smattering of railway labourers who presumably walked the 3½ miles into the Swindon Works, there and back each day.
In 1870 John Wilson’s Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, described Haydon as a ‘tything in Rodborn Cheney Parish, Wilts 4¼ miles north west of Swindon with a population of 367’. In 1900 Henry J Hacker was listed as the British Postal Services appointee from Haydon Wick.
In 1928 the parish of Haydon Wick was established. Prior to that it was part of the parish of Rodbourne Cheney. Haydon Wick was tiny small hamlet with houses in the High Street and farms with surrounding fields and roads were only dirt and shale tracks. There used to be a farm where the old Haydon Wick School is now situated. All farms are now subsumed under roads, gardens and people’s houses although farms houses in some cases have been preserved… Haydon Farm, Brook Farm, Tanners Farm, Haydon End Farm, Guernsey Farm and Manor Farm. Much of the parish falls within the Priory Vale development, the North Swindon District Centre which includes the Asda Walmart.